R.S.P.

From the Reinhold Schegelmilch Porcelain Factory
and Decorating Studios

Welcome to the premier source for information on the porcelain commonly collected in the United States as "R.S. Prussia."

Two factories were used for its production. The first, located in Suhl (Germany), was converted from a disused iron ore refinery to the manufacture of porcelain in 1869. The second, located in Tillowitz (Upper Silesia), was built new in 1894. There was a planned transition of manufacture from Suhl to Tillowitz, prompted by the high cost of labor, materials, and transportation of raw materials and products in and out of Suhl. This transition was completed by 1917. The Tillowitz factory was making porcelain through WWII, but operations ceased completely in January, 1945, just prior to the final Russian advance on Berlin.

Unlike many porcelain factories in the country then called "Prussia", Reinhold primarily made products for export. While we know that the firm shipped goods to the U.S. as early as 1880, only those made after 1888 have been identified. Tete-a-tete and toy tea sets were the primary products exported in 1888, but beginning 1894 all forms of tableware were shipped to the U.S. in large quantities. Virtually all of this ware was hand painted. After 1900, new technology in the manufacture of multi-colored enamel decalcomanias allowed the firm to make products with very detailed scenes. Historically, the products made after 1905, decorated with exquisite floral, portrait, and scenic decals, were often marked on the back or base with the initials "R" and "S", and the word "Prussia." Styles changed over the years, and the elegant decorations, often enhanced with the extensive use of gold, were discontinued by 1910. Until recent years, collectors today referred to the products made in this short five year period as RS Prussia, but the use is rapidly expanding to include those made up to the first world war.